Assistant Cook Senior Citizens Program
The Cook Assistant is responsible for assisting the Head Cook in the preparation of meals, the receiving of food and non-food supplies, and the cleanliness of the kitchen and the food storage areas in accordance with the federal, state, and local health regulations, licensing codes, the Sr. Citizens Program and the rules and regulations of Southeast NM Community Action Corporation. Assumes the Head Cook responsibilities as needed (including maintaining proper records). Also responsible to assist with training of kitchen staff. Will receive instruction, training, supervision, and evaluations from the Area Manager with input from the Head Cook.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- (1) Year work experience as a cook.
- Food preparation experience involving food preparation/service for groups of 100 or more.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Characteristics:
- Ability to express self, in English, in a clear, concise, understandable manner, both orally and in writing.
- Compassionate in accomplishing the objectives and goals of SNMCAC and the Senior Citizen’s program.
- Ability to gain and uphold the confidence and trust of senior populations.
- Ability to interact with adults in a positive, courteous and professional manner.
Requirements that must be satisfied prior to attaining regular employment status:
- Letter of Interest
- Three Professional References
- Proof of Educational Credentials/Degree (Per Job Requirement)
- Drug and Alcohol Pre-screen Test (Per Job Requirement)
- Local Police Report
- Valid Driver’s License
- Clear Driving Record
- Proof of Current Vehicle Liability Insurance
- Proof of US Citizenship, or eligibility to work in the US.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Consistently ~ Occupation requires this approximately 66% – 100% of the time
- Assumes the Head Cook responsibilities as needed (including maintaining proper records).
- Assists with the training of kitchen staff.
- Follows daily menus.
- Assists with serving meals at the meal-site.
- Assists in ensuring that meals meet the meal pattern requirements, are prepared, delivered, and served in a manner that is consistent with federal, state, and local health regulations and served in a timely manner and Assists in ensuring that the kitchen, including ovens, refrigerators, freezers, and storage areas are kept clean and sanitary at all times and that all items are stored properly.
- Assists in ensuring that safe and sanitary conditions are maintained, including maintaining food at the correct temperature and staff wears hairnets, gloves and aprons as required.
- Assists in ensuring that the served and delivered meals are packed and counted (keeps a daily food inventory).
- Assists with maintaining all appropriate records, including the number of meals served and ensures accuracy and completeness.
- Shares appropriate nutritional related information with kitchen staff.
- Assists with ensuring that meal-site activities operate within designated resources.
- Alerts the Head Cook to matters requiring immediate attention.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Develops and maintains a positive, professional working relationship with the staff and the community.