Custodian in Carlsbad and Artesia
In accordance with federal regulations and SNMCAC policy, as of January 31, 2022, SNMCAC Head Start will comply with the mandatory vaccination requirement for all employees as a condition of employment. Accordingly, you must provide either proof of your current fully vaccinated status for COVID-19, or documentation of request for medical or religious exemption, which we will evaluate through the ADA interactive process.
Under the general supervision of the Maintenance Technician and with day-to-day oversite by the Center Manager, the Custodian has the primary responsibility for cleaning the center in such a way to promote health and safety while reducing the spread of infection. The Custodian provides custodial and minor maintenance for classrooms, offices, common areas, utilities, vehicles, equipment, fixtures, and materials for the agency and Head Start facility and grounds. Follows health and safety procedures and performs safety inspections and checklists to ensure facility and grounds are hazard free. The Custodian is responsible for complying with all instructions, policies and regulations pertaining to the agencies buildings and grounds. Duties include cleaning and maintenance of both
Position Qualifications & Requirements:
As a requirement of their employment, all SNMCAC employees are expected and required to perform the essential functions and elements of this position competently, demonstrating adequate progress throughout the course of the training and introductory period of employment and continuing throughout employment with SNMCAC. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- One (1) year experience in building maintenance and custodial work.
- Additional education or professional training may substitute for experience requirement.
Ability to read and write English in order to understand, interpret, and apply Head Start regulations and program standards, written procedures and technical manuals. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from vendors, contractors, supervisors, co-workers, families, their children, and city/county agencies.
Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) skills in order to communicate effectively with Head Start families and students, whose first language is Spanish.
Certification, Licenses and Registrations:
- Must have (or obtain within 3-months from the date of hire) and maintain a current, valid State of New Mexico driver’s license; must have and maintain an SNMCAC-insurable driving record.
- An employee must have and provide proof of current vehicle liability insurance meeting or exceeding State-required minimum coverages, or other coverages required by SNMCAC.
Training/Professional Development Requirements:
- Must successfully complete all SNMCAC-required safety and other training within required timeframes.
- Must obtain required health and safety training within 90 days of the date of hire.
- Must successfully pass and maintain training certification in all state, SNMCAC, and/or other training requirements of the position and job assignment.
- Additional training requirements for this position may be mandated by SNMCAC.
- Participates in a minimum of 24 annual hours of training during one program year as per the NM State Licensing regulations.
- Head Start Staff must complete a minimum of 15 clock hours of professional development per year in accordance with the Head Start Program Performance Standards.
Tools and Equipment Used: An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools and equipment:
- Standard custodian and maintenance tools and facility equipment.
- Must be able to operate a company vehicle.
- Basic knowledge of plumbing, heating, and cooling.
- Heavy lifting.
- In accordance with the conditional offer of employment, individual must pass drug screen, and other required background investigations.
- Additional drug screening and background investigations may be required depending on the job assignment, regulatory or policy requirements, job transfer, or in accordance with SNMCAC’s Drug-Free Workplace policy.